Teeth whitening can significantly increase your self-confidence by giving you a bright, white smile that you’re proud of. Aftercare is necessary to maintain results, and many lifestyle habits often come into the conversation. The most common question when it comes to teeth whitening has to do with teeth staining. And since many patients sought teeth whitening to erase stains perhaps caused by drinking coffee, tea, and wine in the first place, it is often a concern that these favorite beverages are off the table forever. While it is safe to enjoy these drinks, you will want to read on to learn how to while maintaining that gorgeous bright smile.
At Desert Dental Alternatives, our Palm Springs dental team wants you to make informed decisions about your oral hygiene, teeth, smile, and everything in between. Call Desert Dental Alternatives in the Coachella Valley today to schedule a teeth-whitening appointment with our dental experts!
Teeth Whitening Immediate Aftercare: Dos and Don’ts
Teeth whitening is a fast and effective method of removing dental stains, regardless of cause. However, there are some basics to immediate aftercare, so you see the best results from your teeth whitening. Directly after treatment, your teeth will typically be more porous for approximately 24-48 hours. During this vulnerable period, you will want to avoid anything that could stain the teeth, including coffee and wine. After the two-day safe period, you can safely enjoy drinking coffee and wine as usual but will want to follow the proper safety tips outlined below to maintain optimal results.
Drinking Coffee, Tea, and Wine after Teeth Whitening
Even after enough time has passed for your teeth whitening treatment to set, you will want to keep some things in mind to avoid the risk of re-staining your now-sparkly teeth.
- Limit the frequency of coffee and wine consumption: no, you don’t have to abstain forever! But, if possible, consuming any teeth-staining beverages in moderation can ensure your teeth stay white.
- It’s not just coffee and wine: Sodas, sports drinks, and black tea are all beverages that when consumed frequently can discolor and stain your teeth. Even white wine can become a culprit when not practicing other methods of safe care.
- Rinse your mouth after drinking coffee and wine: Immediately after consuming potentially staining beverages, simply swish water around your mouth. Or, better yet, rinse the mouth completely to wash the teeth clean.
- Brush your teeth 30 minutes after consuming coffee and wine: Did you know that the acidity in coffee and wine can cause the enamel to soften? Because of this, you will want to wait at least thirty minutes after drinking coffee and wine before brushing your teeth. Otherwise, brushing immediately afterward can actually break down the soft enamel of your teeth making them more susceptible to staining.
- Drink through a straw: drinking wine through a straw may not sound appealing but consider other beverages that you can limit contact on your teeth. Using straws with iced coffees and teas, for example, are a great solution.
- Maintain regularly scheduled dental exams: Making sure you are continuing proper oral hygiene can help maintain your teeth whitening results. You can also ensure any continued teeth whitening treatments are scheduled as needed to achieve the degree of whiteness you desire.
Preserving Teeth Whitening Results Long-Term in Palm Springs
If you still need information on if teeth whitening treatment is right for you, or if your lifestyle habits are conducive to teeth whitening, the team at Desert Dental Alternatives in Coachella Valley can help! We know it is unrealistic for many to eliminate coffee and wine to maintain white teeth but can continue to offer support in your journey to love your smile.
Call the Coachella Valley smile experts at Desert Dental Alternatives for a consultation for teeth whitening today!